Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Poprice Corn-free Popcorn Substitute

I LOVE popcorn. Love it. So when we had to give up corn because it made me sick and my son act like a lunatic I mourned the loss of my salty greasy snack. I came up with something that is salty and yummy, even though it isn’t exactly the same as good old popcorn. My kids love “Poprice” even their friends ask me to make it now :)

  • 1 Package of Rice Cakes – my favorite for poprice are Trader Joe’s brand, they come in a blue and white package, this brand seems to be the lightest that I have tried.
  • Olive Oil or Grape Seed Oil
  • Salt or Garlic Salt

First break up the rice cakes into a large microwave safe bowl, break them up into bite size pieces a little bigger than popcorn size – they will break down a bit during the prep.

Next microwave the bowl of broken rice cakes for 1 minute on high, then drizzle oil (probably 1-2 Tbs) over the warm rice cake pieces, then sprinkle with salt to taste and stir well. Serve in cute popcorn containers :)

1 comment:

shinywhiny said...

oooh good idea i must try this, i was once a popcorn lover too. sad times!