Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Flutter Butter/Margarine Substitute


My son has many, many food allergies. He is allergic to every butter/margarine on the market. It either has corn, soy or dairy in it. I have worked for a couple of years and finally came up with "Flutter," in the taste tastes I have conducted with non-allergic friends and family they have not been able to tell the difference between Flutter and butter.
We named it Flutter because we were calling it Fake L. (my son's first inital) Butter and we shortened it to Flutter.

Flutter Butter/Margarine Substitute

1 24oz. Tub of Palm Oil Shortening (I use Spectrum Organic or the 365 Brand from Whole Foods)
1/2 Cup of Flax Oil (for buttery goodness spread) OR Grape Seed Oil (for baking)
1 1/2 to 2 tsp of salt

Put shortening in a food processor and process until creamy looking, about 30-60 seconds, then while continuing processing slowly pour in the flax oil, add salt and continue to process for about 1 minute, stop and scrape sides of the food processor as needed. Continue to process until it looks completely blended.

The mixture will be very soft, after refrigeration it will firm up and become the consistency of butter. I like to pour it back into the shortening tub that it came in. When using as a buttery spread on toast or rolls it works best to let soften at room temperature. I usually scoop a small amount into a cute dish to let a small amount soften for dinner.
TIPS: If you find that your butter is harder than you would like, allow the tub to soften and once softened place back in food processor. Add about 3 T. more of the liquid oil you are using for a softer spread. I personally like it to be more like real butter that needs softening before use. I am a lover of real butter.
Please review the recipe below. I would love to know how it works for you!
Beth



No comments: